Thursday, March 24, 2011

Growing a human is hard work

I’m going to get really honest for a moment……

I’m not enjoying being pregnant. The “side effects” are not fun; vomiting, nausea, nose bleeds, heart burn, insomnia….that’s just to name a few (believe me, you don’t want to hear everything). Thanks to the internet, I am reading everything I find about pregnancy, birth and having an infant. I’ve come across many blogs of woman who talk about how much they love being pregnant. I can’t help but wonder if they experience all these things or not? And if they do what’s their secret to not being bothered by them. Generally I’m a pretty positive person, so I’ve been a little surprised at how much I have disliked this whole process so far.

The Imogen part I like though. I wish I could get ultrasounds whenever I want. I get very excited to see her. Only 3 weeks until the next one. I can hardly wait until I feel her moving inside me. I swear I may have felt her last night, Daniel thinks it was in my head. I'm so excited to meet her. There are days when August seems so far away, it will never get here and other days I feel like if I blink she will be here already.

Even though I’ve hated all the things that are happening to me, it’s truly amazing at the same time. The fact my body has shifted into survival mode for me, giving me what I need to survive and has shifted to focusing everything else on ensuring Imogen is safe, healthy and growing. Most of the nutrients my body take in…she gets (no wonder my skin is so dry). I read one article that said the work my body is putting into growing a human everyday is equivalent to that of a person running a marathon (no wonder I’m so exhausted all the time).

I suppose pregnancy is just the beginning of the sacrifices a mother has to make for her children. This whole 9 mos, I’m not living for me, I’m living for her. I have to put aside any fun I want to have, for her safety (I guess I won’t be skydiving this year). Everything I eat, I have to eat with her in mind (I really miss sushi). Everyday tasks I have to ask myself if it’s safe for Imogen (thanks to me friends who came and moved furniture around for me).

All that to say, as truly miserable I have been, it’s all pretty amazing as well. And before I sign off, my husband deserves a HUGE shout out for putting up with me :-) Thank you Love, you're the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment